About Me

My photo
I'll be 55 this August... I've had bronchiectasis for ten years plus this year... End stage lung disease for the past year...been on oxygen for three years... and have I got used to it yet?... nah! I am now waiting for the biggie; a double lung and maybe a heart transplant. I love my life weirdly enough, because I have some wonderful family and friends who are with me every step of the way on my adventures, even though I embarrass them on a daily basis with my unorthodox way of looking at life. Not for the faint hearted!

Friday 24 December 2010

Don't panic!!!!

It's Christmas Eve and life everything is gift wrapped and the bungalow is all peaceful and orderly. Yeah right, believe that and you'll believe anything!
I thought I had the day planned out to military precision, but within 30mins of being dressed, everything went wrong.
The idea wasthat I would deliver the last few Christmas cards and yes I know I have left it to the last minute, but I have been known in years past to go out delivering on Boxing Day morning, sneaking up their paths trying not to be seen.
Plus plan 2 was to do the last bit of shopping and see my friend before going off for my final set of tests with this round. As I was gathering my cards and lists, the phone didn't stop ringing and to say I was getting a little fraught was an understatement, especially as the hospital called while I was out delivering to ask if I could bring the 3pm appointment forward to as soon as I could get there... noon if possible and it was already 10.45.
Unfortunately it didn't get any less fraught as after I had agreed to 12 and had rushed home to get changed, I realised I had left the bungalow keys locked in the back door.
Ah ha no matters as I have a spare set at my mother's opposite, bad news is she couldn't remember where she had moved them to when she tidied up ready to put her Christmas cards up. Perhaps giving your spare set of keys to a lady of nearly 93 with the onset of dementia wasn't my brightest move, especially as my other set was currently on it's way to Hungary for two weeks!
Thankfully my guardian angels were watching over me, as my nieces turned up to visit their nan and Jojo happily agreed to climb in through the bathroom window for me. Now I know you shouldn't leave your windows open, but just as well I had. In my defence I was only popping down the road and plus I had just been to the toilet and really needed to let some fresh air in if you get my drift!
Jojo was rather pleased as she didn't realise that she was still as bendy as that and was quite happy to show her husband the new found agility later that night as a Christmas treat!
Once I hugged my nieces and told them that my soul would be forever theirs, I rushed off to the hospital still in my slouchy clothes.
The tests that followed at the hospital were quite horrible and didn't matter that I wasn't smartly dressd. They involved breathing in and out into a tube with your mouth clamped over a special mouthpiece and with your nose clipped so you can't breathe through in and out that way either. To say you feel as if you were suffocating wasn't far from the truth. Panic sets in, your stats drop and I must admit one or two tears did emerge, leaving me feeling all very shaky and fighting back the urge to vomit. I don't think I did very well at all, but I guess that was the whole idea?
Still all in a good cause.
Off to Midnight Mass now. So Merry Christmas all.

Lots of love Debbie x

No comments:

Post a Comment