About Me

My photo
I'll be 55 this August... I've had bronchiectasis for ten years plus this year... End stage lung disease for the past year...been on oxygen for three years... and have I got used to it yet?... nah! I am now waiting for the biggie; a double lung and maybe a heart transplant. I love my life weirdly enough, because I have some wonderful family and friends who are with me every step of the way on my adventures, even though I embarrass them on a daily basis with my unorthodox way of looking at life. Not for the faint hearted!

Monday 5 December 2011

Slimming World...I salute you

Whose the mumma? Who... is...the... mumma? Meeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
I have been weighed in tonight at tubby club and I now register the desired weight of 10st 2lb given to me by the doctors at Papworth!
Who would have thought when I sat in their office on the 25th July and they told me to get fit and to lose a stone and a half in weight, that I would have achieved either?
In fact I have lost more than a stone and a half, as I have lost a total of 1st 9lb 7ozs, as I had managed to gain a couple of lb more while deciding which leg to cut off in a bid to lose the weight.

When I sat in their office, listening to all their words of advice on what I should and shouldn't do, although I was nodding and inanely smiling while they talked about losing weight, I was secretly thinking 'they must be off their bloody heads, as there is no way, I can lose that much!'
But here we are less than five months down the line and I have done it and I'm a lot fitter too.
I can't believe it.
Jean said tonight that she was so proud of me and she too had her doubts that I could lose it, knowing how much I loved my chocolate bars and blueberry muffins with a daily cappuccino.
I remember us discussing this tall order later on, and mumbling that maybe if I could by some chance lose a stone, then that would satisfy them.
But Jean said that I had shown how strong my actual will power can be when there is something I desperately want.
I honestly thought that side of me had disappeared a million years ago.
My boys and Reni are chuffed to bits too. When Oliver said that I WOULD do it, I thought he had got me muddled up with the mum I used to be when he was about five years old, as he had that unbending belief that I could do anything then too.

I thought that the wheelbarrow full of drugs that I take each day and have done for the past six years, had taken it's toll on my body and I wasn't going to see the old me ever again.
But thankfully I was wrong.
Slimming World, I salute you.
Ok I'm not as firm as I used to be, although my tummy has always needed a bit of extra help. I did have very fab legs only a couple of years ago. Very firm and absolutely no cellulite on them at all, but no exercise and lots of 'mean old' drugs to help my breathing, and my legs aren't no where near how they were. But I am two years older and I have had hardly any real exercise to build up my muscle and keep the old pins firm since this disease took hold.
The steroids must have retained a lot of water on me, as I would wee for England in the first month or so on the Slimming World diet and now my tummy is so much flatter.

I wouldn't say that the first week or so was easy, far from it. I was so hungry that I would have licked the food photos off their diet cookery books, but once I got the hang of it, I actually enjoyed cooking again and I can't really say that I have been that hungry. I still have cappuccinos when I go out and share a cake.
I am hoping to go swimming again soon, but I have to be honest, the thought of stepping outside into this cold weather after a swim, has me diving for my duvet!
I am hoping that I get this transplant soon, so by the time autumn gets here, then I might be allowed in the water again, as swimming is off limits for a while.
And if I swim in the sea, I'll have to keep my mouth shut too, as strictly no shell fish or sushi.

I now have another challenge and that's keeping it off, but I'm not that worried. Extra pudding or a size 12 dress?
What do you think!?

Lots of love Debbie x

No comments:

Post a Comment